Announcing Managed Data Protection in the Cloud
Backup and disaster recovery has gone from just being an IT issue to a strategic priority across all areas of business. Let’s look at some sobering stats from IDC to understand why:
- The cost of unplanned application downtime costs organisations between $1.25 billion to $2.5 billion every year.
- Infrastructure failures, on average, were estimated to cost large enterprises about $100,000 an hour, while critical application failures had a far greater impact—between $500,000 and $1 million per hour.
- According to their survey, 35 percent of respondents said it generally takes up to 12 hours to rectify an outage with double-digit percentages often spending days fixing a problem.
These numbers illustrate why business continuity is more important than ever in protecting a business’ reputation, bottom line and competitive advantage.
A hybrid approach to backup
While the market is increasingly shifting towards virtual and cloud deployments, there is still a significant portion of legacy infrastructure that has yet to be migrated off premises. As such, data protection solutions need to be able to work in both physical and virtual environments to allow for consistent and reliable protection as IT infrastructure evolves over time.
To help organisations meet current, and future, backup and recovery requirements we’ve launched Navisite’s Managed Data Protection, powered by Commvault. It’s an integrated solution designed to deliver complete data protection available across all of Navisite’s environments. Clients using Navisite’s Managed Hosting and Cloud Solutions can now protect all of their digital assets using a highly reliable infrastructure to simplify their backup and restore processes.
Navisite Managed Data Protection leverages Commvault’s data backup and recovery software, which offers the industry’s broadest support for integrating and managing digital assets. Clients have the option to choose from an array of service offerings and service plans to fit their current IT and business requirements. The solution provides:
- Protection and recovery from accidental deletion or corruption of data, complete server, VM and/or infrastructure failure causing downtime or a loss of service
- Application consistent data backup with granular recoverability for supported applications/databases
- Options for redundant/offsite data copies and long term retention of data
- Reporting and alerting visibility on backup & recovery operations and service metering (usage) via Navisite’s Proximity interface
Through integration with Proximity, Navisite’s client portal, and the creation of a new monitoring and alerting module, clients have access to near-real time reporting and alerting that keeps them up to date on the status of their data protection activity. The portal provides our clients with a user experience that is consistent across all of their Navisite services.
Clients have an expectation that any data, whether it is stored in the cloud or in a dedicated database server, is protected and available. Our goal with this solution is help our clients tackle some of the key pain points of backup and give them a single, comprehensive view of all their stored data no matter where it lives.