If Cybercriminals Never Sleep, How Do You Protect Your Systems ‘round the Clock?
In the always-on global marketplace, your systems need to be available 24x7x365 to ensure that customers can reach you (or your services) whenever they choose. Cloud platforms have helped to meet this demand, providing round-the-clock availability, without the need for a full IT team to oversee operations.
But although the big cloud players – Azure, AWS, Google, etc.– ensure the underlying infrastructure is operational, it falls to the customer to ensure that their applications are up-and-running. And secure.
This is known as a shared security model; the cloud provider takes responsibility for protecting their infrastructure, and you must take care of the applications and data hosted on their systems.
Cybercriminals never sleep either
The Internet never sleeps, and neither do the bad guys. Overseas criminals may target attacks outside office hours. For instance, given the increasingly automated nature of modern cyberattacks, they can be run around the clock – including when your security team has gone home
This can create two potential security loopholes. First, IT security is a 24x7x365 requirement which means that your systems are under-resourced outside operating hours. Second, the assumption that your cloud provider secures your applications creates a dangerous blindspot that could be exploited.
How to Get Some Sleep
Partnering with an external security-as-a-service provider like Alert Logic allows you to augment your own security team with skilled professionals covering a broad range of disciplines. In effect, you gain access to a fully-formed security working party who are available 24x7x365 to protect your network, systems and web applications, including:
- Security Operations Center (SOC) analysts who will continuously monitor, prioritise and escalate threats that require further analysis and intervention.
- Data scientists who develop and train the machine learning algorithms to detect advanced, multi-stage threats as early as possible.
- Security researchers (white hat specialists) who replicate attacks to test how to better prevent, detect and remediate issues.
- Security content developers who test, implement and continuously improve the detection and blocking logic, such as signatures and rules used by your perimeter and endpoint defences.
- Threat intelligence analysts who monitor changes in the attack landscape to understand how cybercriminals are evolving and adapting their techniques.
Current estimates suggest that your IT security team can only address 4% of all network alerts raised each week. Artificial Intelligence systems can process many more automatically – with a far greater degree of accuracy too.
Applied correctly, your SOC team will be able to achieve much more with the same headcount. And with initial filtering and detection being handled proactively by the security analysis platform, your security team can focus on strategic improvements that will improve performance and availability for your business and its customers.
To learn more about the benefits of outsourcing your security operations and deploying a security solution utilising a platform combining threat detection technologies, with security experts, leveraging world class threat intelligence, please contact us or alternatively you can explore our security pages.