Cloud Services for Higher Education
Whether starting bachelors’ degrees later in life, returning for post-graduate degrees or simply seeking more flexible learning models, students are increasingly demanding access to online education and hybrid online/classroom-based curriculums. Even for more traditional campus students, the new expectation is 24/7 availability of online learning resources.
Offering enhanced IT resources can be difficult for many higher education institutions to reconcile against delivering a quality education at a competitive cost per credit hour. Research and teaching are the primary objectives, leaving many organizations without the budget or expertise to deploy the infrastructure necessary to power the learning environments expected today.
Balancing Market Demand and Budget
Investing in new hardware and software can be an up-front capital expenditure (CapEx) that many higher education institutions cannot easily absorb. Hiring and training new IT staff can further strain tight budgets. Even simply finding a facility that supports security and business continuity may prove challenging.
Ultimately, building an infrastructure capable of meeting peak demands means some resources will likely go unused during slower periods. Conversely, potentially overloading systems, during enrolment periods and finals for example, can lead to delays and outages. When institutions cannot scale up efficiently, these disruptions can be recurring and costly to remedy.
A Pay-as-you-Go Approach to IT Infrastructure
NaviCloud® Cloud Services, Navisite’s Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) solution, enables healthcare organizations to provision scalable, usage-billed virtualized servers, storage, memory and bandwidth. The solution is available through a self-service portal, or administered by Navisite’s experts.
Key Service Benefits
- Manage Growth and Uncertainty - Adapt faster to fluid IT requirements, such as seasonal enrollment, variable student activity and app development and testing.
- Mitigate Application Management Costs - Relocate back-office apps to the Cloud, to augment performance, resilience and reliability of compute resources.
- Simplify IT Operations - Gain the benefits of a robust infrastructure without the risk and complexity of in-house data centres.
- Maximize Resource Utilization - Virtualized resources help prevent paying for idle hardware and software.
- Promote Rapid Deployments - IaaS works to eliminate long in-house development cycles, allowing institutions to move more quickly from staging to production.
Migrating Legacy Applications
NaviCloud Cloud Services clients can elect to have one or more Virtual Data Centre (vDC). Each vDC contains Virtual Applications (vApps), which contain virtual machines (VMs) and networks. This construct helps institutions:
- Migrate apps to the Cloud one at a time, eliminating pressure to migrate entire data centres at once.
- Free up space in private clouds for sensitive workloads by migrating VMs to Navisite’s public cloud.
- Realize the benefits of a hybrid physical/virtual infrastructure.
A Closer Look at Virtual Private Clouds
NaviCloud Cloud Services can also be implemented as virtual private cloud services. Virtual private clouds can allow a higher education institution to have a physically distinct, dedicated computing environment within one of Navisite’s secure, enterprise-class data centres.
Learn about the Navisite Difference >